Monday 29 April 2013

If there is one thing I'm really proud of... (my 99th Post)

Hello guys!

Before the month ends, I thought I should share (more like haolian) the one thing that I'm really proud of.

Today, I'm gonna share with you about my aspirations/ambitions in life. Yea, I know it is totally out of the blog's theme or "direction", but I just felt that it is necessary to share this motivation.

I am pretty sure that since young, all of us have had different ambitions. Some of us, stuck it throughout the years, some of us fumble upon new ambitions and decided to change, and some of us just don't know what we want after gazillion years of studying and working.

I remember being young, I have had so many different type of ambition. Ambitious or fickle minded, I was both. I had wanted to be a lawyer (my mum's influence) because I loved to talk, I enjoy arguing, regardless if it was with sense, or without any form of sense. I would walk around with a huge black file that looked something like this

Which I had a lot of construction paper (coloured) with present wrappers inside to make it looked like documents, but way cooler, cause they were pretty papers. 
I think I was only 7 - 8 only during that period. It was after my Barbie Doll / Sailor Moon Period. I would walk around with the file, in my bedroom, pretending that I was in court trying to fight for a case for my teddy bears.

So as the years past, I grew up, started watching Spice Girls, listening to Britney Spears (I love them both to bits!) and the passion of being a lawyer gradually diminished. Grades weren't fantastic,  and it was a toss between 4 or 5 years of studying.

The latter was chosen in the end. 

I learnt a lot during my Secondary School days, I think they mould me into who I am today, and be more acceptive and more defensive to the society's critiques and compliments. It half-shaped me to who I am today. I have met friends who stuck through me through my thickest and thinness of life.



So during my teens, I started to enjoy my Home Economics session, where I get to cook. Ok, this story, kinda goes way back. I started cooking (just) rice itself, when I was 9 years old. And there is a Chinese believe/saying that says that "Whether a person can cook well or not, is dependent on whether he/she can cook plain rice". (And I do agree, after being 24 now).

So later, I decided that I wanted to be a Tze-Char Store Owner. That is because I loved loved loveeee creating new dishes. But somehow along the way, because my dog's condition was getting worse, and I was about 15 then, I decided to take biology so that I can be a Veterinarian. (Ok before that, I wanted to be hairstylist also, because I loved my naturally brown hair and used to be very proud of it).

So yes, the goal of being a Veterinarian, stuck with me for a good 2 years, actually a lot more. Until O'levels. I knew I had to get into a Junior College in order to pursue this ambition of mine. But I failed to get into one. I was so tiny bitsy close. And I thought I could have made it, but I didn't.

Disappointed, Life threw me into a course called Marketing. I was in majoring in Marketing at Nanyang Polytechnic, but I had never forgotten about my ambition of being a Vet. I had never felt so passionate about something so long (then).

Despite the amount of ups and downs that I had gone through during my polytechnic life, I had never given up. I had always held on to the thought that I'm going to make it someday. Always believed in myself and always kept my head held high. But during the journey to where I am today, I discovered, I was capable of certain skills. I wouldn't say I was damn good at it, but I was adequately getting the thumbs up for what I have been doing.

After I graduated, there was a little time before University started, and I must say, it wasn't an easy path for me on the University route. I wasted a year, in comparison with my peers. During that period, I thought to myself, since I was so keen in being a Vet, why don't I go intern somewhere or work somewhere where there are animals that I can attend to. So just one fine day, driving down a road, I saw the Animal Recovery Veterinary Centre. Gave them a call, and I was given a job.


It was also where I met my bestest (不要脸) friend - "Keong" or Pei en. But I refuse to call her Pei En lah. Our friendship is known for me shouting her name down the hallways/stairs of ARVC and her knowing that confirm is me. Because I kinda am the only one who does that.


This is the most chio photo of her, that I TOOK. When we were at JB


Part of the Family

We were travelling as a half group to JB for our tiny "retreat"



They were my family. My Secondary Family

I had the best day of my life there. Because I didn't had to really work with humans. And even if they were humans, they were more like a family.


I felt completed after working at ARVC, though I often looked back and felt that I could have stayed longer, if it wasn't for the monetary issues with school commencing. I had really loved what I was doing and the people I was working with. Though there were endless of changes, interns coming in and out. I was experiencing the time of my life. Fulfilling what I had always wanted to do all these while. It was also here that I realise, maybe Life was right, I wasn't ready to be a vet.

Before you know it, it is this blog that I'm writing down these thoughts and gratitudes that I have for those who have entered and exited my life. Those who have been there with me when I was crying or feeling extremely angry about some small issues in life. Those who expressed their love for me. Though your names are not mentioned here, it doesn't mean you're insignificant. All of you mean something to me, then and now. Regardless (Like my cousins for example, who if you refer to the following picture, very kindly left a head space for me, cause I wasn't there to tour the Google Office ): of JFK). If you know me well, I'm very proud of my two coussies, and I always talk about them. They are my life. And they know it better than I do.

Both looking extremely tired. Val on the left and Mei on the Right
So yes. There is this blog, and I met this amazing girl called Juvena Chia too.Who I have went to several countless events with. Someone who would probably remember Andrea as the crazy person. Haha.  (She is 5 years younger than me leh. What kind of logic is this!)


Yup. So if there is one thing I'm really proud of right now, it would be this blog. It marks the best memories of my life. It is where I share my happiest moment in life with you readers. Vanitylavie has come a long way from twaddle.

Actually, the purpose of writing about my ambitions, is because I have recently made up my mind to set up a nail parlour. And if you have been following my instagram, you would have notice my mediocre skills....

And yes, this has been going on for quite a while. I recall this passion of mine since I was 21. I was gifted the following:




So If I count my years correctly, it is going to be 3 years since I stuck with this passion. And thanks to technology and new polishes, the journey of my life and experiences, I occasionally get inspired and design my own nails. I try to do it on a weekly basis now. and yes... I love what I'm doing. And  nothing feels more proud than having people compliment my nails design. Cause I know they are one of a kind and I designed them. Nothing feels more accomplished than this.


All I'm trying to say is, it is ok to be fickle-minded. It is ok to not know what you want in life, cause you will find it eventually. It may start off as a passion, as something you always do. Sometimes you won't get the chance, or won't be able to reach that ambition of yours, but it is ok to start small, start young or even old. It is never too late. Keep the fire burning in you my dear readers. Don't give up regardless of what the society think. Don't let other voices enter your head. Trust yourself.

Live life, and be happy. 

a quote I have always lived by since my Secondary School days was
"Nothing is easy before it is difficult"

Today, I am truly happy with the achievements (though little). In fact, I'm proud of who I have become.

Thank you everyone for being part of my life. I truly appreciate every moment of it - good or bad.

Love
Andrea


**this entry marks my 99th Post in this blog. I know the norm is to celebrate your 100 post. But 99th in Chinese is "jiu jiu". And I want this blog to live "jiu jiu" and be reminded of how proud I am when I'm old. (:








No comments:

Post a Comment