Wednesday 11 June 2014

Short Forms

Photo taken at Alive Museum Singapore

Are they annoying you or what?

Ever since touchscreen phones have appeared, it seems that more and more people are so used to typing almost everything in Short Form. 

I mean, I have no issues with people typing in short form, especially when that short form has reached an universal understanding... what do I mean by "universal understanding"? 

I'd give you a few examples
  1. You = U
  2. Ave = Avenue
  3. Mktg = Marketing
  4. ASAP = As Soon As Possible
  5. Ltr = Later
Yup things like that, where one can totally understand when it is being typed by someone else. 

But in recent events, I was introduced to so many types of short forms that people form up within their own clique and especially in Singapore - The word "thingy" is overused!  

(Friends around me should know how I hate it when people use the word thingy especially when it is not really a word word). 

Singlish version aside, certain words like.. these..
  • "x"
  • "nez"
  • "G6"
and the list can go on forever  
(in case you are figuring it out like me, it means - time, next, good luck) 

Come'on people. How hard is it to type out proper words? Are they really that difficult? Are you that lazy that your fingers can't even move a little more? Or do you have a problem spelling it? It doesn't take you more than 2 seconds to type out that full word. If you have got a problem spelling it, use spell check! How difficult is it? Goodness.  

It is plain frustrating to figure out what the other person is trying to say 88% of the time when they use such short forms when conversing with me. And it makes it more frustrating when you ask them what does it mean, and they give you the "You mean you don't know about it?". 

Regardless whether it is a text, a whatsapp message or even in an email. Gosh - don't even let me start on how emails are being drafted these days in the corporate world. Totally beyond what words can describe. 

Just spend an additional 2 seconds of your day to learn how to type properly. Not only does it teaches you how to spell the word correctly, it will help in terms of your pronunciation and then that helps for your corporate presentation. 

Don't believe me? Try this test and see how you fare. 

CLICK HERE 

I am not saying I am perfect in what I type all the time and I am not dissing people who are not good in English. I just hope that everyone would take some effort to improve instead of continuously staying put at the same position/level over and over again. 

That aside, I spotted 38, missed 4, and was assuming 6 were wrong! In short, I found 90% of the misspelled words.

Toodles!
Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment