Thursday 1 March 2012

Your pathway to success

Nuffnang - Kaplan Higher Education

Tomorrow is the BIG day - well, that is if you're student who sat for your A'levels last year. Although I wasn't a JC student, but I can understand that kind of fear and excitement that you get to feel all at the same time when you're waiting for the results to be handed over to you.


Polytechnic release of results are probably somewhere near so I guess, this is a great opportunity for you guys (students who are interested in furthering your education) to take a little bit of your time to read through this entry.

Yes. I am going to blog about the institute that I am studying at currently - Kaplan Higher Education. As mentioned on my "Frequently Asked!" tab, I've mentioned that I am currently pursuing my double major in Marketing & Management (Murdoch University) under Kaplan.

Let me share with you a little bit on my "study path" and how I made it to where I am today. (skip this part if you're not interested)

I graduated from Nanyang Polytechnic, Diploma in Marketing, with a GPA of 3.1. Nope, that wasn't considered as a great grade, because I knew no local universities would take me in. But I tried, I went to gather testimonials from my lecturers, submitted my application to NTU, NUS and SMU. But to no avail. It was after while, that I resigned to fate and told myself, I probably should start looking at private universities. 

Of course, the first thing that came to me was "SIM". Most of my friends were applying for SIM (different degrees and schools), so I thought to myself, ok, I shall submit my application. The high cost of the school fees were just too much for me to handle. Because I signed up for University of London, I had to do a bridging course that cost me about $1.2k or so. To my dismay, I failed one of the bridging modules (maths <- I've hated it since young, I only had a c6 during O'lvls). 

So there was this day, where I thought to myself, If I were to stay in SIM, its gonna take me a very long time till I graduate (3yrs instead of 2), which wasn't feasible. I don't know about you guys, but I have got to pay for my own school fees, and I didn't like the idea that I would be a burden to my family (not that they took it that way). The longer I drag, the less opportunity I get to earn more $$$ to payback. So there I was, (it was December 2010), making a decision that will alter a huge part in my life. My decision is obvious now. I dropped out and refunded every single cent of my course fee. Overall, I had forfeited close to $2000 to UOL because of a wrong decision made. 

Now, all these could be avoided if I knew what I wanted to do and had stronger faith in myself. After dropping out of my course, I was lost.

All I had in mind was - I need a Degree. Regardless of what.

Partially, why I was so sceptical about choosing a private university is because it involved a lot of $$$. Remember this piece of news? Thats why I went ahead with SIM, because it was "Government" "supported". Then suddenly, Singapore Idol flashed through my mind. Remember the before and after ads of the show? I did! It was Kaplan. Then I pondered - 

"if an organisation has the ability to sponsor and be publicised so often on newspaper, online media and even on tv, it must really have some good supporters behind its move".

Immediately, I went to google about Kaplan, looked at the courses that were provided.
About Kaplan
Kaplan emerged from humble beginnings some 70 years ago when founder Stanley Kaplan started offering “tuition” classes in his Brooklyn basement in 1938. It has since become a leading international provider of educational and career services for individuals, schools and businesses, catering to more than 1 million students from more than 500 locations around the world.

And TADAHHHH -

They offered both part-time (which I'm currently taking) as well as full-time degree & Masters programmes. 

It took me a while, to choose which degree I wanted because there were just so many programmes to choose from!!!
 Finally, I decided - Murdoch University, Bachelor of Commerce - Management & Marketing (Double Major). 


I started in Jan 2011 and I'll be graduating this MAY 2012, and I just want to share my experience with everyone about Kaplan Singapore. It has definitely been a great journey. A journey that has opened many doors for me. I've met great classmates, great lecturers along this journey.

  1. Firstly, my degree is highly recognised by 99% of the organisation in the market. This strikes off my concern about recognition.
  2. Secondly, the coordinators of the programs are always responsive and replying our enquiries. Informing us about the changes in classes or schedules (this is super impt, I heard about how other schools are just so screwed with their timetable. but Kaplan isn't! Plus! they keep us updated with the in-school events held. 
  3. Thirdly, they have tied up with banks to provide 0% instalment plans, so that people like me can afford to pay the degree gradually! They even provide you with textbooks and lecturer notes that are printed and included in your course fee. (++ Convenience)
  4. Lastly, the best part about Kaplan is that it is strategically located at Wilkiedge <-- SUPER ACCESSIBLE PLEASE. Got Starbucks, got Hanis Cafe, Got Bubble Tea and this Korean food that can kill your hunger pangs. Some days, after class, you can even treat yourself to a bowl of Selegie tau huey just across the road!! (+++ Convenience)

I believe all current Kaplan students would agree with me! Check out their Facebook page here!

I really hope this blog post has helped some of you who are lost, or trying to figure out what to do. I hope that in the midst of choosing what you want to do in life, planning your goals, consider Kaplan! Double your degree! Double your future! Double your chances of being hired! (: Isn't it all about expanding one's portfolio and exposure? Visit them! 



Choose your degree/masters programmes wisely now!

Visit Kaplan at Murdoch programmes for the entire list of Double Major Degree and Masters programmes. With Kaplan, now you can advance your life goals with Murdoch’s Double Major Degree and Masters programmes offered at Kaplan Higher Education on a full time and part time basis



xx
VLV

*disclaimer - this blog post is not out to discriminate other institutes. It is based on my personal experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment